Friday 23 November 2012

Styles Per Cost

People keep asking me if I am shopping more or spending more now that I have undertaken the adventure of shopping second-hand for myself for a year.  The short answer is: no.  I estimate I'm spending about the same or less, and going shopping about as often as usual.  The long answer is: it's complicated.  Until recently, I was still fluctuating in my efforts to get back to pre (three) pregnancy size and I didn't really know what in my wardrobe would fit once I landed in a comfortable place.  Or what I would like.  Since last spring, I've been working through my old wardrobe, weeding out unflattering pieces and incorporating some new pieces.  Then I had my first turn in Splurge Sorority and did some hard core shopping - for the me I find myself at now!  (see, told you it was complicated)  What I'm saying is, I didn't have a real shopping baseline before I started this, so it is hard to make an accurate comparison.  But yes, VV Boutique has allowed me to augment my wardrobe in ways I never would have otherwise; I do not have the budget, and I could not justify the cost of regular retail.

Take for example these pants:
Orange chinos $3 VV Boutique
Scored at the 50% off sale - awesome!!

I love me some coloured pants, but even an inexpensive (regular retail) pair might not get enough airtime for a good cost-per-wear finale.  However, at the VV Boutique price, I'm certain to get cost-per-wear under a dollar - which is my goal for all pieces (regular retail and thrifting), with the exception of special occasion pieces (e.g., Christmas dresses).  I also like to consider how many ways I can wear a piece.  Before this adventure, I would aim for 5 ways minimum; now I like to find at least one style per dollar cost.  So here are three ways to wear my $3 pants:
 Striped Gap tee $6, gray V-neck $10 Joe and scarf $5 H&M
Gray flats $4 VV Boutique
This one is based on this pin...
orange pants + stripped shirt + sweater + scarf
I tried to be all casual about showing my under-layer just like this model.
But in reality I would straighten things out.  Just wanted you to know it was on purpose.
Style #2 - Colour blocking! 
 
Blue Gap knit tee circa 2007
Black velvet blazer from Target circa 2004
Sperry Top-Sider Hayden Penny Loafer $9.80 VV Boutique!!!!!

Based on this pin...
Just got orange pants!
Me and Jess are samesies.

 And last, colour blocking and camel...
Camel sweater circa 2007
Fuchsia belt $4 VV Boutique
Green flats circa 2007
Based on this pin...
i am so loving ORANGE right now...yes, i want me some orange pants!

And that is just the tip of the orange-pant iceberg!!  I actually wore them to work with a different top last week but didn't have time to snap a photo...

Conclusion: these orange pants are a great VV Boutique buy and welcome addition to my wardrobe!

1 comment:

Comments make my day!