Monday 10 February 2014

Style Prescription

It seems my husband is favouring the area of my closet with all the pieces that I've been avoiding because he grabbed another problem piece yesterday.  I dealt with that with a total cop out temporary avoidance and layered it under a sweater.
http://distilleryimage9.ak.instagram.com/2325bc2091a511e3b7ad0ab2f26a2e49_8.jpg

You wouldn't think a simple top in a popular colour would be hard to style, but this one has bib-like ruching detail and funny sleeves that make it tricky.  I bought it months ago for $2.50 at Hope Missions Bargain Shoppe thinking I would have no difficulty getting my money's worth.  Turns out, sometimes even incredible bargains like this aren't all that; compared to my JBrand denim (worn more times than I could count, originally about $115 half-off) this oxblood top has a higher cost per wear, so far anyway. 

In the interest of testing my strategy for problem pieces, I decided to wear it again today and this time pair it with a contrasting colour or pattern.  Guess what?  It worked again.
 Teal boyfriend blazer $7, belt $2.10, Clarks she-booties $10 VV Boutique
Icebreaker wool skirt and tights from my closet
Blurry shot from a 3yo Diva Photographer "I SAID DATS GOOD"

I admit I started this outfit with some help from Pinterest...
A few trends packed into one look: oxblood top, dirndl skirt, and the ever-popular bootie. All from ASOS.
But I prefer my version with the contrasting colour; so much more Elisa Nalin...
Elisa Nalin - red, turquoise, yellow
Wish I would've worn yellow shoes!
Close enough!

I consider my strategy now verified and plan to apply a healthy dose of Pinterest plus a cup of contrast to any problem piece from here forward!  
I love being right it when my ideas are successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!