Monday 15 September 2014

Leopard and Stripes

The day is almost done and I assume that EVERYONE was wearing a striped top and print bottom for the Monday Style Prompt.  As for me, I had a hot ticket item that I was anxious to style up - a $7 leopard print skirt from VV Boutique!  I turned to Pinterest for some inspiration then looked in my closet for stripey options and came up with an outfit that had me roaring purring happy all day long.
Blazer $7, necklace $2 VV Boutique
Nicole Miller tee $1.50 Hope Missions Bargain Shoppe
Miz Mooz shoes gifted but thrifted

I'm no stranger to pattern mixing.  I love me some mix-not-match!  I have embraced advice from Ruche and StyleList to develop my mad mixin' skills!  (I mean mad as in stylish, not crazy.)  I think the best advice for newbie mixers is to ensure there's a common colour and default to stripes for one of the patterns. Because when in doubt, wear stripes.
You had me at stripes.

I was surprised to realize that some people still believe horizontal stripes are a no-no.  I find stripes to be camouflaging if anything; I've had three kids, there's stuff going on so I oughta know.  Stripes are like the snake-eyes in Jungle Book - distracting!  Most women are larger on their bottom half, so a striped top balances out.  If you happen to be more apple-shaped, a striped skirt could be your new best friend!  Maybe the width of the stripes matters so try several varieties, and fit is always an important consideration but I encourage you, if you haven't embraced stripey awesomeness, go thrifting, then try some striped tops for layering and mixing.  You won't regret it! 
At a buck-fifty, this tee is one of my best cost-per-wear pieces.
And look at the cute detail in the back!

I had a hard time deciding on finishing touches for my outfit.  I thought I wanted a belt so tried a few options...
Red Flatter:Me or thrifted cognac, black or cobalt???

None of the above!  Instead, I chose red accents to finish the look.

Next week, I will aspire to get the Monday Style Prompt out earlier so you can go thrifting if need be.  And yes, if you are lacking a striped top or print bottom, then need be! And if not, consider it a reason to at least go scope out your thrifted options!
I could do this every darn day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!